Re: High speed motoring ballast empty or full

Post by kurz »

I like no ballast fast running
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free »

The original question was in regards to conflicting recommendations for ballast while motoring. Different recommendations for different priorities.

If you want to be as safe as possible: ballast in. If you want to go as fast as possible: ballast out. Both presuppose that the weather and sea conditions are safe for high speed motoring.

If conditions warrant running at high speed, mast up or down I've never felt uncomfortable motoring at high speed without ballast. That said, I have often declined to motor at high speed due to sea state.

If some medical emergency forced me to run at high speed in confused seas, I would have the ballast in. I would not go as fast, but I would not bounce as much. It's more comfortable for the patient and I'm less likely to break something that might stop me altogether.

I specified medical emergency because in over 50 years of boating I've never found myself in a situation where weather would force me to run at planing speeds in bad conditions for more than a short time. If it's only for a short run, ballast in or out probably does not make a difference.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

Jimmyt wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:28 am
If you're going Commando (Gazmn); i.e. No mast or sails, you should be fine motoring fast without ballast. Again, keep the crew in the cockpit or cabin and don't overload the boat. You should be fastest in this configuration due to the reduced wind drag achieved by removing the rig.

Motoring with the ballast in is more forgiving. Rougher conditions, more wind, you might want to keep the ballast in and lose a little top speed.

😂😂Thanks Jimmy for the “Commando” honorable mention😂

At last! I committed something quotable! I did memorable, when I showed the “practicality” of me using my composting toilet, in the :macx: head, while in Da Keys…Thankfully, that pic got lost in the internet ether :P
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

:D :D :D
“Going Commando” is a perfect (and slightly twisted) term for Mac’n without your rig. I love it!

Good thing that pic is gone…. I might have been forced to use it for your honorable mention :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

I know the original question was for the 26M, but here's my $0.02 for the 26X.

Full throttle motoring without ballast is perfectly safe in most conditions, assuming the bare minimum safety precautions like:
a) no one on the cabin top or foredeck (although I've done this plenty of times, it does contribute to risk).
b) When the boat starts slamming through the waves, slow down. Duh.
c) Make bloody sure that the centerboard can't accidentally drop. That means verifying the line, the knot, the board, and TYING it off so that it can't slip through the cleats.
d) Make sure the rudders are up and well cleated.
e) Don't overload the boat.

I've done a fair amount of "stupid" stuff with our boat, mostly on purpose with a willing crew: I've hit huge wakes at 20mph, launched the boat in the air, with 5 people on board, no ballast, and one idiot on the cabin top. If the centerboard stays up, I just don't see how one could get the X to roll over. I've even done full-throttle 90HP hole-shots with the helm hard over. Never a hint of instability, other than when the centerboard drops at full throttle.

In my defense, these stupid things were done on warm inland waters, with PFD's and informed and willing crewmembers. When the family is on board I default to super-safe mode. When the kids are on board, ballast is always full, period.
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Is a Mac without it's mast going commando or is it topless? Boats are generally referred to as "she" after all. Inquiring minds etc. :wink:
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Macsailing
Chief Steward

Post by Macsailing »

Good stuff folks, thanks for all the replies.

I have to say it feels pretty good ballast empty. Just wanted to make sure there wasnt some odd aspect that one minute its great the next minute its upside down.

In rough mixed up seas coming into Oceanside harbor about 10 mph, i did fill the ballast and it felt better.

Now I'm gonna go out and try that stupid stuff, gotta know the limits! As Captain Ron said, "If its gonna Happen, its gonna Happen out there..."
2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay
beechkingd
Chief Steward

Post by beechkingd »

My X has a 90hp and I don't motor without ballast at WOT with the mast up very much. With the mast down it will hit about 24-25 knots (29mph) a little less with it up. It seems a little twitchy with the mast up and the only time I would be going fastish (not that fast) like that would be playing around towing my kids on a tube. So I always leave the ballast in for towing. When I purchased my boat it had a 30hp engine and I was frequently emptying the ballast just to get it to get sort of on plane at all.
Macsailing
Chief Steward

Post by Macsailing »

29mph sounds really fun! "Mo powa"
2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay