Cam cleat on rudders 26m

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Macsailing
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Cam cleat on rudders 26m

Post by Macsailing »

Anybody use a cam cleat on their rudders. Using a regular cleat to tie them off, especially up, is a pain.

Seems a cam cleat might work?
2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay
kurz
Admiral

Re: Cam cleat on rudders 26m

Post by kurz »

SOUNDS GREAT
45Plus+
Deckhand

Post by 45Plus+ »

I haven't but adding cleats for the rudders is one of the modifications that is high up on my list of things to do. I am not sure why such things did not come with the boat - apart from cost that is.
March
Captain

Post by March »

Agreed. Yet the typical cleats may be used to your advantage. We squeeze the rope under the cleat, leaving a loop. That's enough o keep the rudders in place. In case the rudders hit bottom, the loop gets undone easily, without straining anything.

I've been planning to replace the cleats with fast-release ones, but for the time being, this setting works pretty well for us
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

Having owned two sailboats with a kick-up rudder, I have come to love this auto-release clam cleat:

A cam cleat suffers the same drawback in that it holds the hold-down rope fast. So, if the rudder gets forced up, something has to give; either the rope, the cable, or the points of attachment.

The CL257 clamcleat is adjustable as well, thus will release at the appropriate tension for your application.

March, your hack is intriguing. Could you provide a pic?
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free »

Stickinthemud57 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:59 am Having owned two sailboats with a kick-up rudder, I have come to love this auto-release clam cleat:

A cam cleat suffers the same drawback in that it holds the hold-down rope fast. So, if the rudder gets forced up, something has to give; either the rope, the cable, or the points of attachment.

The CL257 clamcleat is adjustable as well, thus will release at the appropriate tension for your application.

March, your hack is intriguing. Could you provide a pic?
I use the same type of auto-releasing cleat for my rudder lines. I made a two-part line that uses shock cord at the bottom and regular line at the top. The shock cord allows the rudder to lift and return when going over small obstructions but will trip the cleat for a more substantial hit. It works great for sailing and has saved my rudders multiple times.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Be Free wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:13 am I use the same type of auto-releasing cleat for my rudder lines. I made a two-part line that uses shock cord at the bottom and regular line at the top. The shock cord allows the rudder to lift and return when going over small obstructions but will trip the cleat for a more substantial hit. It works great for sailing and has saved my rudders multiple times.
Nice idea. Thanks for sharing that!
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free »

I've tried it with all shock cord but I had trouble getting the tension right. If it was tight enough to keep the rudder down under normal use it did not have enough stretch left to lift and return when something small was hit. A shock cord that was stiff enough to do the job was too large to work in the cam cleat so I made it in two pieces; heavier cord on the bottom and smaller line up at the cam cleat.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Macsailing
Chief Steward

Post by Macsailing »

Thanks for the ideas.

Can you use screws for this application? Or are bolts required?

Where exactly did you put them?

Thanks, Scott
2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Macsailing wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:29 am Thanks for the ideas.

Can you use screws for this application? Or are bolts required?

Where exactly did you put them?

Thanks, Scott
Talking about the clam cleat, I assume.

I used standard wood screws. One must chose the proper drill bit to tap the holes - just large enough to allow hand-tightening. I have tripped my cleat several times, and the cleat remains securely in place.

There are two holes in the clam cleat through which the screws are inserted. Recommended placement is far enough back on the tiller that it does not interfere with operation of the tiller, any tiller clutches, or the like.

Caveat - My application is on my 26S. Hopefully an M or X owner will chime in with any model-specific recommendations.
EvenKeel16
Just Enlisted

Post by EvenKeel16 »

I have a 26S as well but struggle with the same issue. Am i the only one that cant see the images?
Stickinthemud57
Captain

EvenKeel16 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:11 am I have a 26S as well but struggle with the same issue. Am i the only one that cant see the images?
You mean the images of the clam cleat in my posts?
Macsailing
Chief Steward

Post by Macsailing »

Thanks for the info. I like the auto release jam cleat idea. However, the jam cleat mentioned only handles up to 1/4 inch line. The rudder lines on my 26m are much bigger than that?

Any ideas?
2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Macsailing wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:10 am Thanks for the info. I like the auto release jam cleat idea. However, the jam cleat mentioned only handles up to 1/4 inch line. The rudder lines on my 26m are much bigger than that?

Any ideas?
If they are larger than 1/4", that is definitely overkill for the application. Just replace them with a smaller diameter line if that is the case.
Macsailing
Chief Steward

Post by Macsailing »

So, i ended up using am cleats on each side, really makes it easy to keep them up and hold them down. I can also wrap excess line when down loosely around the cleat so it isnt draghing.

I know if i hit something they wont release, but it is really no different than when tied to the cleat.

2010 26m, suzuki bf70a.
San Diego Bay